Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Chicago:: Day 2

Day Two of our Chicago Getaway started off with two words:
SLEEPING. IN.
Glory, Hallelujah, it was great to sleep in, then leisurely watch the news and take our showers and meander down to the breakfast buffet. I even went to the fitness center and ran on the treadmill before breakfast. Holla!
As we ate breakfast, we mapped out our activities for the day which included going to The Art Institute, Walking through Millennium Park, shopping for gifts to bring home for the kids, and dinner at Portillo's Restaurant. A short walk to the train station and we were on our way!

 Here I am standing in the gardens in front of The Art Institute. Everything was so beautifully landscaped, and not just here, but it seemed to me that all over Chicago businesses had bursting flowerpots full of vibrant colors.
See what I mean about the flowers? 
Everywhere! 
We really enjoyed The Art Institute. Like most major museums, it was so large that there was no way we could see it all in one day, so we took note of the exhibits we really wanted to see and made sure we got to experience each of them. 

 Mike had to write a paper while in college at SVA about this painting and the woman with the blue face. 
I had to write a paper in 8th grade about Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec.
Coincidence? I think not!
Another fun fact: My pointillism painting won first place in a state art contest in 6th grade.
(only art award I ever won, FYI)
Thanks for the inspiration, Seurat! I love your work!
 Classic.
We just couldn't get over all the colors of his skin. So much careful thought went into it while his jacket is less meticulous. I am trying to sound all artsy fartsy. I think it is working.
 There were many amazing Monet pieces on display, but I stood by this one to show my girls. Their favorite Baby Einstein video was "Baby Monet" and it was all about the seasons. Monet's haystack series plays a big part in the video so I thought they'd recognize it.
 I don't remember who did this one, but I really like it. I want to go there, please.
 We had to visit the American Modern Art wing since it is Mike's favorite era.
He loved this huge Cy Twombly painting. The picture doesn't quite capture its size and detail.

 Next up, we walked to Millennium Park. When you don't have kids to take pictures of, you end up being in a lot more pictures.
 We had to go see Cloud Gate, a.k.a. "The Bean"
 Question: Why is it so fun to take pictures of a mirror?
Answer: It just is!!!
 Here we are again!!
 Looking up and feeling dizzy.
 The Bean truly does offer a neat reflection of the city skyline as well as the sky itself. As you can see here, clouds were starting to move in. The temperature started dropping during the rest of the afternoon. We managed to hit up a few stores before it started pouring rain. And by pouring, I mean standing-in-a-shower, getting soaked to the bone, rain. We had to duck into a Walgreen's and buy an umbrella. After an early dinner, we decided to call it a night. One of my favorite things about our vacation was coming back to our hotel, flipping through the channels and finding a good movie to watch. Tonight's selection was the 1985 classic Wall Street starting Michael Douglas and Charlie Sheen. We capped off the night with a dip in the hotel hot tub. Oh the luxurious life we led for a few days!

No comments: