Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Happy 4th Birthday, Banana and Bee!

About to blow out their birthday candles.  
Will these people please hurry up and finish singing the birthday song??

Today is my daughters' 4th birthday. 4 years old! That still needs to sink in a little. I remember the day they were born in such incredible detail. If I wrote all my memories out, you'd be reading for quite awhile. So I'll share a few snippets from that incredible day:

* I remember waking up at 3:30 in the morning in order to get to the hospital by 5:00. Amazingly, I was able to jump out of bed and get ready. I was so excited and nervous at the same time. We were going to be induced at 37 weeks.

* I remember the uncomfortable feeling of early contractions. Then the painful ones that began later. It was so surreal watching my large stomach tighten up hard as a rock.

* I remember getting an epidural. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it might be. And I remember the relief afterwards!

* I remember the nurses rushing in when Leah's heartbeat dropped rapidly. I remember the worried looks in their eyes.

* I remember my doctor coming in to my room and telling me that I was going to meet my new babies in about ten minutes. I needed an emergency c-section. A flurry of activity followed including me drinking some awful tasting medicine and getting whisked down the hall to the operating room.

* I remember laying on the gurney in the operating room, tearing streaming out of the corners of my eyes, draining down into my ears. A nurse asked if I was okay. "I'm just overwhelmed," was my reply.

* I remember how fast the girls came out. Leah at 12:01 and Hannah at 12:02. Everyone commented on how much dark, black hair they had! I heard them crying and was dying to hold them!

* I remember being wheeled back down the hall to my room. Lots of family and friends had gathered outside in the hallway and they were all smiling and cheering. Our friend Reed was filming me and I remember laughing, covering my face, and then crying again. Oh the hormones were raging out of control!

* I remember holding my girls for the first time. I remember staring at their faces for hours. I couldn't get enough of them. They had soooo much hair! Their eyes were like deep, dark pools of water. Their little lips were perfectly puckered, and they smelled divine. I love freshly cleaned baby smell. It is so pure.

* I remember how tired I was that night. And sore. And thankful. SO INCREDIBLY THANKFUL.

I look at how much my girls have grown and changed in the last four years. And I am still so thankful.

God, thank you for my beautiful girls. Help me to be grateful for every day you give me with them. Guide me as I do my best to nurture their tender little hearts, and help them grow into strong, kindhearted young women who love you and love others!



Leah Rae
Hannah Joy

3 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

oh man i totally teared up big time reading this. beautiful! i'm so sad i don't get to see them this week. please give them hugs and kisses from aunt jacque and tell them i love them!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful thought and a perfect prayer. Though it has not been as long I, too remember the birth of my little boy in vivid detail. It seems like a dream now.

Maria Rose said...

Beautiful, you brought tears to my eyes!