Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Escape



After I finished A Tree Grows in Brooklyn, I went to a completely 
different kind of book.  Escape, by Carolyn Jessop tells the true 
story of the author's escape from the religious extremism of the 
Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints 
(FLDS) and the oppression of living in an abusive polygamous 
marriage.  This was a look into a world that I could not have 
even imagined.  It was so bizarre and so unbelievable that I 
would audibly gasp!  I think Mike got tired of me constantly 
saying, "Oh my gosh, you won't believe this...."  

It was that kind of emotion that kept me up until one o'clock 
in the morning several mornings in a row because I just 
couldn't stop reading.  The book begins by Carolyn Jessop 
going back in time, retelling her family history and her own 
upbringing in the FLDS compound in Colorado City, Arizona.  
When Carolyn was eighteen, she was forced into becoming 
the fourth wife of a fifty year old leader in the community named 
Merril Jessop.  Even though she was deeply upset about 
marrying a man so much older, she was powerless to do anything 
about it.  She stayed in the marriage for many years, giving birth 
to eight of Merril's fifty-three children.  Her descriptions of living 
in an extremely unhealthy and abusive marriage were 
heart-wrenching.  Eventually Carolyn planned and executed 
a successful escape and managed to become the first FLDS 
woman to win custody of her own children.  

It was a difficult and unbelievable road for her to travel, and it 
made for a fascinating read!

1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

Wow, sounds like a good read. I do that too, the "you won't believe this.." to my husband!