Monday, November 24, 2008

Weekend Highlights

This past weekend was a lot of fun.  Mainly because we didn't have to be anywhere at any certain time.  And I think it will be one of the last simple, stay at home kind of weekends left in the year. Between Thanksgiving, the girls' birthday on December 16th (and party on the 6th!), shopping, wrapping, Christmas, and ringing in the New Year, life's going to be crazy!  So this past weekend, we took it easy.  Some of the highlights were.....

* Family Movie Night:  Mike made a pallet on the floor for the girls, popped a big bowl of popcorn, and we all watched the movie Wall-E.  It was the first time for all of us to see it and we all loved it.  The girls are finally getting humor.  They laugh at the appropriate times and that makes me giggle a little too.



* Saturday morning lounging:  We all slept in a bit, then spent some time snuggling, playing doll house, and making waffles for breakfast.  I think we all stayed in our pj's until after noon. It was great.  And I did manage to mop the kitchen floor which always feels like a great accomplishment.

* Saturday night football game:  The girls played "Lion King" on the floor while we watched OU stomp Texas Tech.  We also ordered pizza from one of our favorite places, and while we were driving to pick it up we noticed all kinds of houses with Christmas lights up already! 

* Sunday I wasn't feeling that great,  so we stayed home in the morning.  But by the afternoon I realized that I was going to have to go to the grocery store if we wanted anything to eat in the near future, so off I went.  It was crazy crowded too.  I guess people were mostly shopping for Thanksgiving because I overheard words like "heavy whipping cream", "pie crusts", "cream of mushroom soup", "sweet potatoes" and "pecans" being whispered between husbands and wives shuffling up and down the aisles.  

One random thing also occurred that is worthy of note.  I had placed four pumpkins on our porch back in mid-October to decorate for the fall.  The girls picked all four out:  two big ones (for mommy and daddy) and two little ones (for Hannah and Leah).  Sunday morning we woke up to find all four pumpkins smashed in our cul-de-sac.  They met a violent death, I'm afraid because they had also been slashed to bits with a knife as well as crushed to smithereens.  We all went outside with our big trash bin to clean up the carnage.  The girls were quite irritated that some "meanie person" would do this to us.  I was a little perturbed too I might add.  

Regardless of the pumpkin fiasco, we still had a wonderful, restful weekend.  How about you? What were your weekend highlights?


2 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

your weekend sounds SO great. i was asleep by 11:00 friday night after getting like, zero sleep thursday night... but then i slept until 11:00am saturday! without waking up once! duuude. how is that possible. i am officially unsick though! i had lunch with a friend from out of town who gave me HOT new shoes for christmas, then went to a kenya thanksgiving dinner thing with my friend abby then to cheesecake factory for dessert and gossip, then met her boyfriend at edna's for a quick lunchbox! does mike like those by the way? it is the only way i will drink beer. anyway, sunday was church and at home relaxation.

the pumpkin distruction has happened to us every year since i can remember. we keep our lil pump's inside now.

Maria Rose said...

Lovely! I have already said goodbye to my last restful weekend for a while, but busy is good too. My highlights were: having a friend over for dinner, cleaning the house, preparing for Thanksgiving, meeting up with a friend from out of state.