Monday, October 26, 2015

Birthday Week

This Friday is my mom's birthday. I spent 34 birthdays with her, and this will mark the 4th without her. I've been thinking about her so much lately. Yesterday, I thought about her and cried off and on all day. Today I've been thinking about her and smiling. Grief is weird. 

In her honor, I thought I'd share one photo of my mom a day leading up to her birthday on the 30th.
The back of this photo reads, "Barb gathering pecans, 1301 Edgewood Dr, Graham, TX, Fall,1975." 

I was about 18 months away from being born when this picture was taken. Mom was at the end of her battle with Hodgkin's Lymphoma. She had recently finished brutal rounds of chemo and radiation. Her hair was starting to grow back. She was thin and weak, but so very happy to be alive. She had been told that because of the radiation she received, having children would be a slim possibility. I know she was struggling with this--the thought that she might never have children. But she trusted God. Sought His will. And found refuge in the shadow of the Almighty. 

The following May of 1976, my mom found out a baby was on the way--me. And I would be her only baby. 

I look at her face in this picture and see the strongest, bravest woman I've ever known. 

Thank you, Lord, for letting me be that miracle baby. 

No comments: