Monday, October 17, 2011

Sunday Night In T Town

I love live music. Always have. I spent most of my high school and college years going to shows. My friends and I were always planning when and where and how far away the next one would be. I collected a lot of band shirts along the way as well as a lot of memories.

Since having kids we haven't been able to go to too many shows anymore. The late nights, loud music and sometimes smokey venues do not lend themselves to the six and under crowd. Even still we've managed to make it to a few. And yesterday was one of those days!

I have been wanting to see David Crowder for years, and he just happened to be doing a farewell tour that passed through Tulsa yesterday! And he was playing with Gungor and John Mark McMillan-- both of which are fantastic!

Luckily Tulsa (known as T Town around these parts) is just a quick hour and a half drive north of OKC. We headed out with some good friends at 3:00, leaving my kids in my dad's capable hands. We chatted about all kinds of things on the way up, including a lively debate on the actual lyrics of Def Leopard's "Pour Some Sugar on Me" (who knew they crooned the word "saccharine" in there?!). We were there in no time.

We had time to find a fun place for dinner downtown at El Guapo's (you must say this name in a heavy Latin accent; it's a requirement). We ate our dinner on the rooftop while admiring Tulsa's ecclectic architecture and the warm fall evening.

Eventually we headed to the famous Cain's Ballroom for the show. It has been awhile since I stood for four and a half hours, but man it was worth it. Live music is so energizing and inspiring and moving and just plain fun. It was nearly 2:00 in the morning when we arrived home, and I have been dragging today, but that Sunday night in T Town will go down among the best.

2 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Awesome!!

Cheap Flights said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.