Friday, September 24, 2010

Afternoon Snack


It never fails that around 4:00, my stomach starts growling and my mind starts wondering what I have in my pantry to fix for an afternoon snack.  Lately I have been grabbing some awesomely good avocados at the grocery store, so it has been guacamole time in my kitchen.  I love guacamole.  When I was little, you couldn't pay me to touch the stuff since it was gloppy and green, two very bad things to a picky little girl.  But at some point in my life, I had the guts to try it and was pleasantly surprised at how great it tasted!  Had I been missing out or what!?  If I'm just making a quick snack, I go for simplicity:  one mashed avocado, salt, pepper, done.  But if I'm making a "fancy" batch, my favorite things to add are:  onion (finely diced), cilantro, fresh lime juice (or fresh orange juice is good too!), and sometimes tomatoes.  Throw in some corn chips and you are good to go!  For something different, Mike's aunt taught me how to make a delicious "GLT" sandwich.  Just make my simplified version of guacamole, spread it on whole grain bread, add sliced tomatoes and lettuce (and if you're feeling crazy some thinly sliced red onion) and you have a very yummy sandwich.  It's all good, my friends!

What are some of your typical afternoon snacks?

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Oh! How I love guacamole! Yours looks delicious!