Friday, June 11, 2010

Remembering Friday

Today was one of those days where nothing exciting or drastic occurred.  It was just a random, "normal" day.  But I would love to look back at this blog one day and read about what an average, uneventful day was like  during the summer of 2010.

I started the day by making baked oatmeal.  I got the recipe from Money Saving Mom last year some time.  It is pretty good and a hearty way to start off the day. 

Lucas went down for a morning nap around 9:30 and slept until 11:00.  The girls played in their room while I went around the house doing my "morning chores" which included:  cleaning up breakfast dishes, wiping down kitchen countertops, feeding the cats, making all the beds, throwing in a load of laundry, etc.

We warmed up some leftover homemade pizza for lunch.  I love it when we have leftovers to eat.  It makes lunch so much easier in my opinion. 

Around 1:00, I finally had everyone fed, shoes on, and freshly diapered, so we headed out to find a Coin Star Machine so the girls could "cash in" all their change they have been saving up.  Several months ago, I created an "Obedience Jar" for the girls.  Whenever they obey Mike or myself the first time we ask them to do something, they get some money to put in (no specific amount-- just whatever I happen to find.).  Turns out they had $14.17 saved up!  I rounded it to $15 and gave them each $7.50 to spend at Target.  Hannah got a horse and Leah got a My Little Pony kitchen set.  They got to really see how money works and also that good behavior is rewarded!

Hannah and Leah showing off their new toys
The now empty Obedience Jar
We got home and I put Lucas down for his afternoon nap at 2:30.  He slep until 4:00.  They girls played with their new toys while I made a pot of chili for supper.  Chili is not really a summer meal, but it just sounded good.  And it is cheap which makes it a winner in my book.  While I was chopping a rather potent onion, my eyes started watering like crazy.  I looked like I was seriously crying!  When the chili was finally in the crock pot, I caught a reflection of myself in a mirror and laughed out loud!  I looked like a crazy racoon with dark mascara circles under my eyes from all that crying!  Well, either a racoon or a goth teenage girl-- either one.

Mike got home early-- right at 5:00.  Hooray!  We ate dinner and gave the kids a bath, then Mike ran to the hardware store for a few things while I tried to get everyone in bed.  Not and easy task tonight.  Lucas is getting his two top teeth (they are just about to break through his gums!) so he was very fussy.  I gave him some motrin and he seemed to calm down.  Hannah decided to play her stubborn card and refused to pick up her room.  After I took her new horse away and gave her a stern warning, she broke down into sobbing and screaming.  It was a doozy of a fit.  In these type of moments, I have to remind myself to be calm and stay in control.  She eventually helped clean up and we had a very good talk about anger and self-control while I was tucking her in.  The night ended with kisses and hugs and I love yous, so it was all ok.

And so here I am now, sitting in a calm, quiet house.  It is good to reflect on the day-- the highs and the lows.  The only other thing I am thinking about is my current craving to drive to Braum's for a hot fudge sundae.  It is so tempting!

What did you do today?

4 comments:

Jacquelyn said...

See that's why you need me. For the Braums runs. I liked your day in the life. Makes me feel more prepared for what is to come. And by that I mean, in 5+ years. ;)

Tandamaguire said...

Sounds like you accomplished quite a bit! Glad you are getting a relaxing evening. Praying that Lucas' ears clear up soon!

Maria Rose said...

I love ordinary days, they are the glue that holds together life between special moments and that mood is what we remember years later.

PS We're having leftover pizza for lunch today.
PPS When your eyes are watering from onion chopping stick your head into the coldest part of the freezer, it causes the blood vessels to contract and the watering stops.

Emily said...

I will have to try the "head in freezer" solution next time I chop an onion! :)