Saturday, August 15, 2009

The Well and the Mine

So I finished another book recently and I might have to put this one in my top twenty for sure. The Well and the Mine is a first novel for author Gin Phillips. It is set in one of my favorite eras in history: the Great Depression. I think I love the grit and determination that got people through that particular time. And I especially love stories of hope and goodness and love rising out of that dark, sad season in America.
The novel is set in a small Alabama mining town and focuses on the Moore family-- Dad, Mom, two daughters (Virgie and Tess) and a son (Jack). One night as Tess is sitting on the back porch alone, she witnesses an unthinkable thing. A woman quickly and quietly throws a baby into the family's well. Tess is shocked and instantly runs to tell her parents about it. At first they think she isn't telling the truth, but when a baby blanket is found in the well bucket a few days later, they realize that her story is in fact true. But who could have done such a thing? Tess and her family are forced to take a good look at the people in their small community and in the process learn a lot about themselves. They realize that being rich is a relative idea--that wealth doesn't always lead to happiness, and poverty doesn't mean that love isn't abounding.
Another thing I enjoyed about this novel is the way in which the point of view constantly shifts. Each member of the Moore family tells the story from his or her own eyes which made for a steady stream of fresh perspective. And the characters were just so well developed and endearing. I hated to leave the Moore family when this book ended. I felt like a really knew each of them. I've even found myself thinking about them long after I finished the book. And that is one sign of a good read.
So check out The Well and the Mine or some of my other favorite "Great Depression" reads:
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck
Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
A Year Down Yonder by Richard Peck

4 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Sounds like a great book!

Anonymous said...

You're really good at writing book reviews. You should write the summaries that go on the back of the books!

Thanks for sharing your reads. I will have to check this one out!

Jacquelyn said...

hiii from LA! I FINALLY finished "the invisible wall"today while laying out, i thought it got really good at the end. good read. :)

Jenn said...

just finished this book too after your personal recommendation - enjoyed it! hope you are all doing well.