Wednesday, March 4, 2009

It's March!

Yay!  It's March!  Somehow when the calendar turns from the shortest month of the year to March, I feel like celebrating.  This may stem back to my teaching days when I could start counting down the days to Spring Break.  Or it could be just knowing that by the end of this month we'll have trees in bloom, many warmer days, and the official start of spring.  

Things have been really busy here for some reason, and of course the one time I got my camera out to take snapshots of something, the battery was of course dead.  Note to self:  start charging the battery on a regular weekly basis.  

But one great thing that happened over the weekend was a much needed date for Mike and me. We try to spend time alone at least once a month (or more) and I would encourage all parents to make this a priority.  I want my kids to grow up knowing that their Mom and Dad really liked spending time with each other!  Anyway, we decided to go on an afternoon date.  Usually we opt for the typical dinner/movie night.  These are fun, but usually kind of rushed.  We have to hurry to get to the restaurant in time so that we can hopefully avoid a wait and then make it to our movie on time.  

In our pre-kid years (and I cherish all 5 of them--8 if you count the dating years!) we enjoyed wandering through antique stores, flea markets, and bookstores.  We loved that quiet togetherness where sometimes we would talk and sometimes just meander around in a comfortable silence.  So Saturday afternoon we dropped the girls off at my parents house and headed out for the afternoon.  

We started off by grabbing lunch at Tim's Drive In in Bethany, OK, one of our favorite hole-in-the-wall places that is famous for their greasy hamburgers and Indian Tacos.   We opted for the Indian Tacos and ice cold bottled Cokes.  Afterward we went to a few of our favorite places: Rink Antique Mall and Flea Market and the Antique Theater on May Ave.  We had such a great time as we spent the next few hours walking around, pointing out neat and/or ridiculous things to each other, talking, laughing.  By the time we picked up the girls we felt so refreshed and reconnected.  I love that.

What are some of your favorite things to do on a date?


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know where Tim's is in Bethany and love it! Joe and I have tickets to the Civic center. We love having a set date every few months. We do more than the 5 shows but that is such a special date for us.