Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Snow Day

Yesterday we got hit with freezing rain.  Throughout the night, sleet mixed with snow poured down on us.  And so today we are having a snow day.  Pretty much every major school district is closed and so are many local businesses.  It's like our whole city is forced to slow down and take a breath today.  I'm embracing it.

So far today we have:

eaten breakfast:  waffles and scrambled eggs
changed the sheets on the beds
played dinosaurs
taken a looooong bubble bath (the girls did this one; i opted for a hot shower)
painted with watercolors
eaten lunch:  grilled cheese and apples
played outside in the snow/ice
read books
took a nap
made oatmeal cookies

I enjoy these days, but they can be long.  I would not survive in a northern cold weather state. I've decided I'm a cold weather wimp.   Not that I hate the cold weather, I love these unexpected days.  But I don't think I could do this day in and day out for months.  I need to see the sun!  I also went a little picture crazy today, so get ready....

The view out my front door.
Hello, my feet.  Each blade of grass was frozen which made a great crunchy sound! 
Leah working on her watercolor creation.

Hannah hard at work.

Making oatmeal cookies.
The finished product!
Ready to go play!
They don't get to play in the snow very often, so they were thrilled!

Hannah making a snow angel.
I love Leah's face in this picture.
While Leah warmed her feet by the fire.....


Hannah chose sleep!!







 






2 comments:

Jenn said...

I'm with you - loved having the boys home yesterday but today, we are gonna HAVE to leave the house! Precious pics!

Maria Rose said...

What a lovely day! Sometimes a good snow day just hits the spot!