Thursday, September 25, 2008

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz


We are having an "Oz Fest" over here and I don't mean Ozzy Osborne.  My girls have fallen in love with the movie The Wizard of Oz, and I'm having fun reliving one of my favorite childhood movies as well.  I know that like most movies there is a book that came first.  In fact the book was written in 1900 by L. Frank Baum, and I know that I should read it to my girls. In most cases I'm a big proponent of reading the book then seeing the movie, but in this case, the movie is so great and the music so catchy that I just couldn't help myself.  

They have probably watched the film about five times now.  But more than watching it, they spend all their time playing Dorothy and Toto and all the other characters.  We bought them Dorothy costumes (complete with ruby slippers) to wear for Halloween, but they have had them on every day since we purchased them.  I found two baskets with handles and they each have a stuffed dog that goes in them (you guessed it--Toto).  Dress up is one of their absolute favorite things to do right now.  I need to add more costumes and accessories to their box because they get so into their characters. I love it.  

A few funny moments have already come out of our current Wizard of Oz phase.  After trying on their little blue gingham dresses and sparkly read shoes for the first time, Hannah exclaimed, "Oh, Mommy,  I know-- me and Leah will be Dorothy and you can be the Wicked Witch!!"  Oh boy!  I'm not sure green is my color.  =)

Another moment (also spoken by Hannah) was this morning in the car on the way to school.  It was quiet in the car then suddenly Hannah said, "Mom, when I marry Eli (our good friends' little boy the same age as our girls), I want to wear my Dorothy costume."  Awesome.  I can already see a Wizard of Oz themed wedding.  The bridesmaids can wear Glinda the good witch of the North princess dresses and the groomsmen can wear scarecrow, tin man and lion costumes.  

Finally, We were watching the scene in the movie where the characters sing, "Follow the Yellow Brick Road."  I couldn't help but sing along when Leah quickly told me, "No mom!  Don't sing!  This is only for little girls!!!"  I said, "Well, when I was a little girl I loved this movie too."  Then Leah pointed one finger at Hannah and another at herself and said, "No, this movie is for THESE little girls."  I see.  I'm too old to be in on the singing and acting.  Oh...to be put in my place by a 3 year old.  

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Where do they get this stuff???!! They are a riot! Thank God you are bloggin this stuff!