Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Five Days of Books::1

I thought that for something different, and as a challenge to myself to blog for 5 days straight, I would review five of the last few books that I have read.  I'll do one each day for five days.  I'll basically just give a brief overview of the plot and my opinion on whether I liked it or didn't like it  Please, please, please, if anyone else has read these, let me know your thoughts as well.  So without further ado, I give you book #1:


This book is the second home run for author Khaled Hosseini.  His first novel, The Kite Runner, was 
breathtakingly written in my opinion.  The books share many similarities, but also some stark 
differences.  For example, both books take place in Afghanistan during the 1970s through the 
early 2000s. They both involve the unsettling communist takeover in 1980 as well as the 
horrible years of Taliban rule.  However, unlike the main characters in The Kite Runner
A Thousand Splendid Suns casts Afghan females in the lead roles which I greatly enjoyed.  
This novel weaves together two stories in a beautiful and terrifying way. 
Mariam and Laila are two women from very different backgrounds and are brought together 
by the horrors of war.  Together they suffer hardships, develop a deep and lasting friendship, 
and make life changing decisions.  The book is filled with sorrow, hope,joy, love, 
revenge, loyalty and sacrifice.  I started reading this book on a Thursday evening and finished it with 
teary eyes on Saturday morning.  I simply couldn't put it down.  Being a woman, a wife and a 
mother, I empathized with these two characters in a very deep way.  The novel was also 
fast-paced and each chapter left me dying to know what would happen next.  
I would find myself thinking, "Just one more chapter.  Okay one more,"
I absolutely recommend this book as well as Hosseini's other novel, The Kite Runner.  
Both are excellent reads.




3 comments:

Emily said...

So sorry for the weird layout of the text under the book image. I have no idea what that was about and tried to fix it. Sorry!

Jenn said...

I read this book earlier this summer and loved, loved, loved it! Agree with everything you said! Still haven't read Kiterunner but want to - did you see the movie? I want to see that too but want to read the book first! Can't wait to see about your other books - I'm always looking for a good read!

Anonymous said...

Hey Emily--this is Kristin, Jen's (in WI)sister. Not sure if that makes sense. Anyway, I've stopped in a couple of times to see pictures of your girls. They're cute!
I love to read and I really loved this book. I have books I keep and books I give away. This was one that I kept!