Thursday, September 25, 2014

My Busy Days

This last week has been a doozy! First off, I've been sick. Like this is day 14 of me feeling less than great. It started last Sunday (not the one we just had, but the week before that--the 14th I think?). Anyway, I came home from church and felt like I was running a fever, and low and behold I was. A low fever coupled with aches and chills. I popped some Advil and took a nap and felt better. But then Monday I felt the same. And Tuesday was probably worse. Plus I had a heavy, tight feeling in my chest like I was about to be hit with a major upper respiratory thing. And that's just what happened. My fevers went away after Tuesday, but since then I've been left with a hacking cough, extreme fatigue and  barely any voice left. I sound like I've been smoking a pack a day for the last 30 years. I'm sure it's a virus and will run its course, but come on already! Be gone, I tell you!

So, with the upper respiratory plague I have going on, I've been going to bed early and dragging through my days. We shall survive. Even if we are digging wrinkled clean clothes out of the laundry baskets lining my bedroom wall.

Life surely marches on. Like soccer for instance. Lucas started his fall soccer team on September 13th. His team name is the Rangers and so far he's scored two goals in both of his first two games. He LOVES soccer and asks every day "how many sleeps until my next game?"
Lucas after his first soccer game
Our retirement plan is based on him going pro someday.
That's a financially sound plan, right?

School is in full swing mode, no more "easing into the first few weeks." 4th grade has proven to be the year of homework. The girls have at least an hour or more every night. And I might lose my mind. They are generally good in school, but math (like me) is their nemesis. We were working on equivalent fractions the other night and I wanted to run off the nearest cliff. Which would be hard to do considering there are not many cliffs in Oklahoma. But, we made it through and I think they understand them now. I've also been subbing this year since all three of my kids are in school full time. I figured I should put my teaching degree back into good use. In fact, I've accepted a long term sub position at the kids' school starting the week before Thanksgiving and running through the end of February. I'll be teaching pre-k with a lovely teacher's aide while the main teacher is out on maternity leave with her first baby. I'm not sure I'm ready for full time work again, but here goes nothing! It's only temporary though.

Leah at the school's fall carnival last week.
She chose a black cat for her face painting and thankfully it all washed off just fine that night in the bath.  Last year Lucas had his face painted like a green dinosaur and his face was green for a week!
The kids had a blast at the carnival and I'm glad they enjoy their school and their friends so much.

This year, I am also in charge of planning a charity gala for a local non-profit called House of Healing. I got involved with House of Healing after I heard the two women who started it give their testimonies and share their vision for the ministry. They both have a heart for helping teenage girls in crisis and House of Healing runs a mentoring program that focuses on helping both the teenage girl and her mom/grandma/guardian. Eventually, House of Healing wants to provide a residential living center for the girls. Last year was their first fundraising banquet, and my friend Nikki and I were in charge of the silent auction portion of the event. This year, Nikki and I are in charge of the whole event and we are upping the fancy factor and calling it a "gala" this year. The venue is nicer, the food is a little classier and the whole night will be a lot of fun. We are a month away from our event and it is coming down to LOTS of small details. I am learning so much and have enjoyed doing it, but it is a LOT of work!
Our "Save the Date" card that went out about a month ago!

So, that's a little glimpse of what we've been up to here lately!




No comments: