Monday, August 18, 2014

For The Love of Soccer

My dear, sweet husband is not what I would call a sports fan. He watches OU football games with me and attends Thunder basketball games with me, but he is not a die-hard fan in any sense of the word. He doesn't golf (although thinks going to the driving range is fun), and he likes to watch/play/follow tennis. But there is one sport that I would say he is fully into. As in has the gear, doesn't miss a game, reads up on players, etc. And that sport is SOCCER. Or should I say "futball"? Mike is most definitely a soccer guy. He follows British Premiere League and is a fan of Chelsea FC. In the fifteen years we've been married, I've started to become a fan too. Although I still think soccer is not as fast-paced and exciting as football or basketball, I can officially say I like it. I'm beginning to understand it. Believe me, Mike has had to explain "offsides" many, many times, but I think I get it now!

So, with that being said, when it was announced that Oklahoma City was getting a professional soccer team, Mike was super pumped. The OKC Energy FC is about to wind down its first season ever, and our city came out to support them in a big way. The games are usually full of fans, chanting, cheering the team on. And ticket prices are really affordable, especially compared to our NBA team.

This past Saturday, the Energy was playing the Los Angeles Galaxy, and we thought it would be a fun game to take the kids to. It was their first ever professional sporting event, and they were excited. Especially Lucas who has inherited his father's love of the game.

When Mike and I go to games, we always eat at Irma's Burger Shack first. 
So we continued the family tradition with the kids.
Leah, Mike and Hannah were making their "game faces" here.
Although Mike said he looks like he is trying to hold in a fart. Ahem.

Lucas and Mom ready to cheer on our team
He was so excited and slightly overwhelmed when we got there.
But mostly buzzing around excited.

The girls chose a more relaxed approach as they watched the game in the lounge chairs we brought.

When the sun went down, it was actually nice out and in the distance you could see rain falling. Thankfully it stayed dry where we were.
Our guys are in the blue/green jerseys (also known as "kits" as I'm learning).

Lucas bravely joined in a pick-up game of soccer with a bunch of older boys. He was not shy and played his little heart out.

Our view behind the goal.

At the end of the game, fans could go out on the field and meet the players. Mike bought Lucas his own Energy soccer ball and he had it signed which he thought was cool. 
This boy was hot, sweaty, tired, but so happy at the end of the night. And I mean, so happy that he cried when it was time to go home. But that's how five year olds show their happiness, right?
At any rate, we had a fun night as a family.


No comments: