Friday, July 25, 2008

Where I am

I recently read a post by The Pioneer Woman that got me thinking.  In this particular post she compared where she thought her life would be when she was in college to where her life actually is today.  It made me think about the same thing.  

When I was in college:
Did I think that at age 31 I would be married?  yes
Did I think that I would have kids?  yes
Did I think I'd have a career in education?  yes
Did I think I'd be a stay home mom?  no (I thought I'd still be teaching)
Did I think I'd have twins?  no way
Did I think raising kids would be so incredibly hard?  no 
Did I think raising kids would be so incredibly rewarding?  no

I guess I've learned that it's good to be surprised by life.  I thought about what I'd change in my current state and my list was pretty short (reduce/eliminate debt, be able to travel more), but at the core of where I am today, I honestly wouldn't change a thing. What a great place to be at.  It helped me to realize that my day to day frustrations really are minor when compared to the bigger blessings in my life.  So my three year old is running away from me calling out, "Get away from me old lady!" (a line she picked up from a movie I let her watch).  I can deal with this (God, help me!).  I have to remember that where I am in my parenting and my career is not where I'll be ten years from now.  Just like where I was in college is not where I am now.  

Thank goodness for growth.  

No comments: