Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Back of My Hand

"I know this city like the back of my hand."

Have you ever lived anywhere long enough to use that phrase? My mom grew up in a military household, so she and her siblings moved every two or three years. Mike's parents were missionaries, and by the time he was in 6th grade his family had lived in Oklahoma City, the Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Dallas.

But as for me, I've spent the majority of my life living where I live today: Oklahoma City. (technically I live in Edmond, OK, but it's a suburb, so I lump it in there). I moved to Oklahoma City when I was ten years old, so I've been here now for nearly 23 years. And I think I'm finally able to say that I know this area like the back of my hand.

This thought occurred to me about a week ago when Mike and I were hanging out in The Plaza district, which is near downtown. As we were driving home I was thinking about all the different areas of this city where I've spent time and made memories: The Paseo District, Downtown, Mid-Town, NW 23rd, Bethany, NW OKC, Norman, Edmond, etc. And I thought about all the annual events that I look forward to: the Arts Festival, the State Fair, the Red Bud Classic. I could go on and on. I feel like I'm never lost here. Even if I am slightly off the beaten path, I just have to look for a landmark (like the pineapple dome on 23rd or the cross on top of Mercy hospital) to right myself again.

And what finally solidified the fact that I have definitely lived here a long time was the day after Thanksgiving when the BC Clark commercial aired on television. I started singing right along as this song ushered in the Christmas season-- just like is has for the last several decades. If you know it, feel free to sing along. In Oklahoma, it's just not Christmas until this ad airs on tv.



Have you ever lived anywhere long enough to know it inside and out?

3 comments:

Maria Rose said...

Yes, but mostly because I've lived in a lot of very small towns (pop.1,000). It is nice to really know a place.

affectioknit said...

I knew my little hometown that way - that came from riding my horse all over everyone's property...

Angie said...

This made me laugh...it is interesting when you know the local commercial jingles!