Saturday, December 13, 2008

Where the Wind Comes Sweeping Down the Plain

Today I am home sick.  Oh yes, an upper-respiratory infection has made it's home in my head and lungs making me feel miserable.  Fever. Congestion.  Coughing.  Oh yeah, the works.  But, I'm trying to find the good in today anyway.  First good thing is that my parents offered to take the girls for the day so I could just stay home and rest, take my antibiotics, and hopefully start feeling better soon.  It has been a long, long time since I spent my day lounging in bed, taking multiple naps.  

Second,  since the house is so quiet, I find myself being soothed by the constant swooshing sound of the wind.  It is wicked windy today-- even for Oklahoma standards.  You probably know our state song, "Ooooooklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain...". Rogers and Hammerstein certainly got that right.  There are many days where the wind truly is "sweeping".  The wind here can be downright annoying if you happen to be out in it--fierce and unrelenting.  In the summer it is like a hot blanket, and in the winter it feels like needles on your skin.  

But today, I can enjoy the wind.  Because today I am inside feeling comfortable and warm.  The lights are low.  And the wind is steadily howling.  It makes me feel extra cozy.  And thankful that I don't have to be out it in. 

So in keeping with the wind theme, here's just a reminder of our state song.  
O-K-L-A-H-O-M-A!

">

1 comment:

Maria Rose said...

I hope you rest up and feel better soon!